I've installed 9.1 nine times now (different machines, including 2 laptops).
I have to say, even on very similar machines I've had things come up
differently (all work, mind you).  What I haven't figured out is why some
have the "classic style" text boot messages, and some the graphical boot
messages.  There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.  And one machine has
no shutdown messages whatsover, just a blank screen with a blinking
cursor--then it turns off.  Obviously, it is closing what it needs to, and
shutting down properly, but why?  I had no option for "quiet shutdown" at
install.  Kinda weird--I've probably done 75 or more Linux installs, and I've
never seen it before.

e.