Hi all,

I managed to find the answer on another mailing-list. I tried the second
solution and it works. Couldn't be bothered with the first one.

Subject: Re: [nbusers] [OT] Java and font problem on Mandrake Linux 9.1
Date: Friday 27 June 2003 17:42
From: Eric Hartmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi Guilherme,

You can solve this problem by changing
${JDK_HOME}/jre/lib/font/font.properties file.

Two solutions :
1) If you have symbol.ttf (licenced by Microsoft, maybe you have an old
Windows 98...).
* If you have Symbol.ttf file, put it in ${JDK_HOME}/jre/lib/font/fonts/
* cd ${JDK_HOME}/jre/lib/font/fonts/
* ttmkftdir > fonts.dir  (overwriting the file)
* Replace in font.properties all the  --standard symbols
l-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-urw-fontspecific by the new font name
(for instance symbol.ttf is :
--Symbol-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-microsoft-fontspecific)

2) Another solution is to remove all the --standard symbols
l-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-urw-fontspecific.

For me those two solutions works on Mandrake 9.1.

Hope this helps,

-Eric

On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 21:40, Guilherme Cirne wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I know this is off-topic but I have searched everywhere and asked
> around on Mandrake mailing-lists but couldn't get the problem resolved.
> So this is my last resort...
>
> I have a font problem in java apps running under Mandrake Linux 9.1
> which is very hard to explain so I have screenshot showing exactly what
> I mean. I can send this to anyone who is willing to help.
>
> Basically what happens is this. The height of the default java font
> (Dialog) is not being calculated correctly under Mandrake Linux 9.1. So
> all components, like buttons, are much higher than they should be.
>
> I know that Dialog is just a link which by default points to Lucida
> Sans and this can be changed in the jre font.properties file. But the
> strange thing is that if the font of a particular component is set to
> Lucida Sans directly then the height is calculated correctly and the
> component looks like it should. So the problem isn't the Lucida Sans
> font. This can be seen clearly on the screenshot which I made.
>
> This only happens on Mandrake Linux 9.1. On 9.0 it works as it should.
> I have also tried different jre's like Blackdown's 1.4.1 and Sun's
> 1.4.1 and 1.4.2 beta and they all have this problem. So this is a ML
> 9.1 specific issue. I have also performed various installations of ML
> 9.1 on different machines and the results are the same.
>
> So if anybody has seen this and can help me I would be very grateful.
> And don't forget, I can send anyone a screenshot which makes it much
> clearer to see the problem.
>
> TIA,

Guilherme Cirne
[EMAIL PROTECTED]