Just as I was about to go to town on this sylpheed tarball, I read
Eric's post on 'make install' - then Derek's page on checkinstall.
Decided that was a good idea 9building an RPM from a tarball) so I did
urpmi checkinstall - it reported two dependencies, I said yes and it
failed saying some files were missing and that I might want to update my
urpmi database. So I said 'urpmi.update local' tried urpmi checkinstall
again and get the same message.
I must be missing something here - besides the files, which are:

/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/libcheckinstall1-1.5.3-1mdk.noarch.rpm
    /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/checkinstall-1.5.3-1mdk.noarch.rpm

Where do I go from here?
thanks
Curt