Jones wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Oct 1999, you wrote:
> > should support such junk.  But there is a linmodem project.  I think
> > they should support them since most new computers come with one.  I for
> > one would not have one.
> This is a good point. . .also with new PC specs calling for the death of ISA,
> the options for modems will pretty soon be divided among HSP HCF Win modems and
> externals. . .

Truly, the cost sensitive markets will have to deal with a flood of cheap junk,
but there are honest hardware modems on the PCI bus and also on the USB.  And
I wouldn't be surprised to see a marketing scheme for modems connected to Firewire
(Be the fastest to reach the bottleneck, by golly.  No one claims to be faster!).
A lot of the aftermarket will likely be good modems.  Of course, it may be that
the whole idea of analog and 56K V.90s will die in the fusillade of cable and ADSL
with their superior speeds (REALLY get to the closest internet bottleneck before
your friends do!).  There are those of us stuck two geostationary satellite
bounces from the nearest frame relay, of course.  We will continue to use modems
long after the rest of the world has forgotten them.

Civileme