Well, you asked for ideas, not educated guesses.

1.  Do you have a Seagate IDE Disk?

From BIOS to LILO, what occurs besides a disk read?  Does it switch to multi-mode there?  Does it try to implement UDMA?

What does your startup log look like?  Any {Seek Complete} Errors?

What bus speed and what chipset on the P-II?

And if it is just a very slow load and normality is established afterward, why worry?

Civileme

Eric Mings wrote:

I never received any solutions or explanations for the difficulty I
mentioned in my prior post so I figured I would try again. I know that
with a high volumn list such as this, questions quickly become lost in
the pile if not addressed soon after posting. Anyways,
below is my problem. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I recently installed Mandrake 6 on a 450 pentium box and, although it
runs well, it seems very slow to initially load up. I have redhat 6
running on an old 486 and it loads MUCH faster. Here is the difference,
it takes forever for the LILO prompt to come up after the basic bios
settings display is finished. Sometimes I even have to restart to get it
to come up at all.  It then takes almost forever for the "loading linux"
to finish. After that point all is normal in the startup process.  Both
of these aspects are very fast on my old 486 with redhat. Any ideas what
could be causing this?

Regards,

Eric Mings Ph.D.

--
visit http://homepages.msn.com/invalid_url  ....
Is Microsoft afraid to pay itself license fees for IIS?