On Tue, 05 Oct 1999, you wrote:
> Because it seems abnormal which leads me to believe there may be hidden
> problems that I haven't found yet. Hopefully this info is somewhat
> helpful it trying to figure it out.

Ok...here's something to think about.... my system is a
dual-ppro 200. Only one processor is working right now, due
to a problem with the SMP kernel which I haven't had
the time or inclination to track down just yet. :-)
However, that being said, my system, from a cold boot, is
VERY slow to boot. I have 192 megs of ram, and it takes
about 2 minutes for it to count up to that, and it takes
about 5 - 7 minutes (guesstimate) for it to completely boot
to a login prompt. Now my K6-2 300 here at work boots all
the way from bios/memory count to login prompt in
(approximately) under 2 minutes. I don't know why the
difference, but that's the way it works.... *shrug* Both
machines work just fine once booted, but the machine at
home is MUCH slower to boot.
        John