On Saturday 05 July 2003 12:50 pm, John Richard Smith wrote:

> Go, Home directory , back to  /  , click on etc icon  to /etc directory
> , skip past the blue directories to a file called fstab.  There right
> mouse click  fstab, and it opens in konqueror.
> then copy and paste to an open composer window

/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
/dev/hda6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
none /mnt/cdrom supermount
dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0
none /mnt/floppy supermount
dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0
/dev/hdb1 /mnt/win_c2 vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0
/dev/hdb5 /mnt/win_d vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0
/dev/hdb6 /mnt/win_e vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0
/dev/hdb7 /mnt/win_f vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0
/dev/hdb8 /mnt/windows vfat defaults 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda7 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/hdb9 swap swap defaults 0 0

i think i followed directions.....that's what's in the fstab file.

> >i have all EIDE connections, no SCSI connections, although what i was told
> >before was that linux sees most of this stuff as SCSI even if it is EIDE.
>
> Do you have the writer/rom on ide1 or ide 2 and is it master or slave,
> or Cable select(jumpers on the back determin)

both of my hard drives are on the primary ide channel, my 20gb drive is
master, 100gb is slave.  my cdrw drive is on the secondary channel and is the
master, nothing else on that channel.

> This is saying that you have chosen scsi-emulation for your writer/rom,
> that is what hdc=ide-scsi says. That is OK, if you want it.

Is there any difference in how it'll run?  i just want what anyone else
wants...their hardware to work to it's full potential.

> >Running Linux 3rd edition and Linux in a Nutshell 3rd edition.
>
> They are all you need really.

i want to get both of those, and the teach yourself mandrake book is
recommended by the basiclinux.net course, so i ordered it.

Thanks!

Mike