> >/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults 1 1
> >none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
> >/dev/hda6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
> >none /mnt/cdrom supermount
> >dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0
> >
> this is your writer/cdrom under supermount, and ought to work fine.

> But your previous post said you have hdc=ide-scsi.

I am not as familiar with this as you, john, but i don't *think* that's a
contradiction.

For comparison (from my files),

lilo.conf:
append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=off"

fstab
none /mnt/cdrom supermount
dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

> >both of my hard drives are on the primary ide channel, my 20gb drive is
> >master, 100gb is slave.  my cdrw drive is on the secondary channel and is the
> >master, nothing else on that channel.
> >
> so that means your writer/rom is /dev/hdc

Michael, I think John will get you to your answer way better than me,
but another thing is to make sure the jumper is set to master on the cd writer.

It might be helpful if you run dmesg in a terminal and copy all the sections that
refer to your cd rw and hdc and post back.

eric