quoting Curt Tresenriter; Sunday 06 July 2003 11:39 am:
> hda1 (C:) wasn't connected during my last install, so I'm trying to get
> Linux to recognize it.
> I've created the /win_c: dir in /mnt and edited fstab and mtab with:
>
> /dev/hda8 /mnt/win_c: vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0
           ^huh? 1 or 8?              ^ add user here.

> and rebooted.
> Still when I click the win_c: icon in a file mgr, no files are shown.
>

> Have I left something out?
> CT

Just a couple quick thoughts Curt; fstab is an acronym for "file system table"
and it's where the kernel and device managers get their instructions. It's
static, as in it's always (theoretically) the same as when it's first
"built."

mtab is the "mount table," and is generated as a result of the actions
connected with fstab. It's dynamic and changes as devices and drives are
mounted or unmounted.

In other words _don't edit it!_ Or maybe......

BOOM! ;-)

Also; if the Windows drive (C:) is hda1 why did you add it as hda8? If you
want to read the contents as a user instead of root it may help to add user
in the fstab too.

Just a thought.

Regards;
Charlie

Not really on that BOOM! thing, but I did want to get your attention. <g>
--
Edmonton,AB,Canada Registered user 244963 at http://counter.li.org
Mandrake 9.1 Bamboo (cooked)