quoting Curt Tresenriter; Sunday 06 July 2003 02:48 pm:

<whack>

> > Also; if the Windows drive (C:) is hda1 why did you add it as hda8? If
> > you want to read the contents as a user instead of root it may help to
> > add user in the fstab too.

> > Not really on that BOOM! thing, but I did want to get your attention. <g>
>
> =-o  I'm listening!
> I was confusing the /mnt/win partition with the actual C:
> Got it all straight now.
> Thanks,
> Curt

:-) Welcome. But you did catch it yourself before I posted anything. (-:

<d'uh mode>
I've noticed that a lot of Windows refugees, and quite a number of those that
are still dual booting Windows, have trouble with a logical drive naming
convention as opposed to what they're used to. Repeat after me:

Windows is stupid! The first hard disk drive (HDD) or partition on that drive
is always called "C:." The second HDD, or the first partition on the second
HDD is always called "D:." The second, third and subsequent partitions or
drives are called "D:", "E:", "F:" and so on and live on the first drive.

GNU/Linux uses Unix style naming. The first drive is hard drive a (hda), the
second hdb, the third hdc, and so on. Partitions are numbered on individual
drives; i.e.: hda1, hda2....hdb1, hdb2... and so on. Further partition naming
in distributions such as Mandrake are based on their usage. Such as / for
root, var for (system) variable, usr for user variable.....guess what /home
and /swap are for? <g>

Which makes more sense to *you?*

Sorry for the "Well D'UH!" posts everyone.
</d'uh mode>

Regards;
Charlie
--