try to avoid hijacking threads, start a new thread with a new subject
heading.

On Mon, 2003-07-07 at 00:37, Isaac Curtis wrote:
> On Sunday 06 July 2003 14:45, you wrote:
> > I tried to install Mandrake 9.1 which I downloaded off of various FTPs
> > listed on the www.mandrakelinux.com website a few days ago. The install
> > went smoothly, just about everything was working except my sound card
> > (according to the installation program), but when I restarted it stuck on
> > Checking Module Dependencies or something similar (I can't remember what it
> > was exactly, but Module Dependencies does stand out in my mind). Now, I
> > told it to boot the GUI automatically and I only installed off of three
> > CDs.... am I missing some? I have a redhat distrib. with about 6 CDs and
> > that worked fine for me. So basically, how do I get this distrib to boot?
> > What have I done wrong this time? Thanks for any help you may be able to
> > give me including something like "stick with windows you moron!"  ;)
> >
> > Brian
>
> This happened to me with my install of 7.2 back in the day, and I know it's
> happened one other time, too.  I used to have to wait for almost ten minutes
> on the module dependencies.  My temporary recommendation: let the computer
> sit after startup for an hour.  If it works, sweet, and you can figure out
> how to troubleshoot the slowness from there.  If not, you know you have some
> install problems to deal with.  Having to just force-reboot each time you get
> annoyed at the wait can cause some major problems, so I say let it sit for an
> hour (massively exaggerated, but do it just to do it) and see what happens.
> Good luck.
>
> One,
> Isaac
good point, some times, besides loading modules the first boot, there
may also be some filling in of databases (slocate, etc)when first
booted, the first time. 20 mins should be plenty to wait for anything to
happen, even on a "slow" (p1-200mhz)box tho