This is lame, but you need to define the metamail temp directory.

Check the man page for the exact environment name, but I just created a tmp
directory in my home directory then put "export
METAMAILTMP=/home/username/tmp" and it worked for me.  on my second install
I just bypassed the metamail installation. :)

Jim