On Wednesday 09 Jul 2003 10:28 pm, David Middlebrook wrote:
> I have recently installed my first Linux system, chose Mandrake 9.1 and am
> trying to convert from Windows. I have been using Mozilla as my Web Browser
> but have been running into problems when I get to a site that needs a
> plug-in like Real Player. Have looked at the About Plug-ins in the Mozilla
> Help and it shows this: MIME Type                             Description
>                 Suffixes      Enabled audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin     RealPlayer
> Plugin Metafile       rpm               Yes
>
> What is required to get it to work?
> Thanks in advance.
> David

Well you need to install RealPlayer.

If you have the Powerpack CD the RealPlayer RPM is on your commercial CD
alternatively it is available for download from Mandrake Club.

You can also find an RPM from Texstars download site at
ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/contrib/texstar/mandrake/9.1/rpms

There are two packages RealPlayer8 for the player itself and
mozilla-realplayer for the plugin.

Tip: an easy way to install from an online source like Texstar is this.

In your browser go to http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/index.php
Follow the instructions to define online 'urpmi' sources for 'contrib', 'plf'
and 'texstar'. It will tell you the commands to paste into a root terminal to
get the packages from those locations appearing in your Mandrake Control
Centre>SoftwareInstall GUI.  You can then use the Mandrake Software Manager
to install RealPlayer and hundreds of other online applications in addition
to the packages on your CDs.
(Note: the plf sources can be pretty slow. I find the 'club-internet' source
to be the best.)

Tip: The commands have to pasted into a 'root' terminal. To get a root
terminal open a normal terminal window and type su<enter> you will be
prompted for a password enter the root password. You are now operating as
root user.

Tip: To copy/paste in Linux highlight text with your mouse and press mouse
wheel/centre button to paste.

Once the RealPlayer RPM is installed restart Mozilla and you will be able to
use the plugin.

HTH

derek
--