Margot wrote:

I'm using Mandrake 9.0, still very much a newbie, feeling my way round gently, getting used to the Linux way of doing things after many years of software from the company whose name shall not be mentioned!

I'd like to use newer versions of OpenOffice and Mozilla.

In your opinion, which would be easier for a very inexperienced newbie - keep the Mandrake 9.0 that I'm (almost) used to and just upgrade Mozilla and OpenOffice, or upgrade to Mandrake 9.1 as a new instal with the newer Moz and OO included?

Don't know about OO, but as far as Mozilla is concerned, I wouldn't let that be a determining factor. Mozilla development moves pretty fast, and any Linux release is inevitably behind. Just go to the Mozilla site and download what you want. Personally, I like the new separated single-purpose browser (Firebird) and email client (Thunderbird).

Margot

Guy Rouillier