On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 17:39, Margot wrote:
> I'm using Mandrake 9.0, still very much a newbie, feeling my way round
> gently, getting used to the Linux way of doing things after many years
> of software from the company whose name shall not be mentioned!
>
> I'd like to use newer versions of OpenOffice and Mozilla.
>
> In your opinion, which would be easier for a very inexperienced newbie -
>   keep the Mandrake 9.0 that I'm (almost) used to and just upgrade
> Mozilla and OpenOffice, or upgrade to Mandrake 9.1 as a new instal with
> the newer Moz and OO included?
>
> Margot

Kinda depends on your hard drive space, time, and Internet connection
bandwidth/wallet depth, Ability to burn CDrom.
SO I have a cable modem, and can download and burn a cdrom, or can
afford to go to BestBuy and buy the newer version. Slam Dunk Easiest
thing is to download the ISO image and Burn the GPL version, put in the
first CDrom away you go, and if you have backed up everything in /home
and-or /home is a partition and not a directory under / , then a
complete install, wiping what ever partitions you intend to use
('cepting /home) and formating them with a journaling file system
(Reiser, good choice IMHO) and spending the time to pick the programs
you want installed, then changing the CD a few times, and you not only
got the latest and greatest GPL has to offer, you are coooooool.
 Go for "ALL", if you can.