Deek,

I just installed a GForce FX 5600 recently dispite my
elevated newbie quotient =)

First you did remember to leave X Windows when you
installed the nVidia driver, right? To get back your X
environment you may want to try entering console mode
(which doesn't seem to be a problem at this point),
and running the command drakxconf.  Choose the Geforce
FX driver under display settings, and quit.  For some
reason 'Test Display' didn't work for me, so I'm not
sure if I recommend that option.

Lastly, you can always

vi /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

to manually change it back...
(If you're not familiar with vi, pressing 'i' will
allow you to edit. ESC then :wq will write changes and
quite (:q! will exit with out saving).

Hope that is of some help - let us know how it goes!