(
On the Nvidia forums, there are long-running threads related to several
issues
involving newer Nvida graphics cards.

Just to list some suggestions:

1.  If you are getting to the AGP section in your Xfree86.log file
before you
get locked up, in other words, the last line is "Setting mode...." then
you
may have issues with AGP BIOS on your motherboard and Nvidia's card.
The
solution is to add this line to your XF86Config-4 file
Under Section Device
Option  "NvAGP"         "1"
This tells Nvidia card to use internal AGP rather than kernel agpgart
and
sometimes fixes issues.

If your XFree log does not show it locking up but you just go into
powersave
mode and stay there, add this line, also under Device

Option          "ConnectedMonitor"      "CRT" - or DFP or TV depending
on where you are
connected.

Also,
Option  "IgnoreDisplayDevices"  "DFP, TV" - if you are using the CRT
connection.
This option is to avoid issues with the card taking an inordinately long
time
to detect the active display.

Finally, I had major issues until I followed stated advice and hooked
the DFP
adapter to my analog connector and plugged the monitor into the DVI slot
on
the card. (I have a GeForce 4 ti 4600).  My monitor was going into
powersave
mode and not coming out until I changed that connector.  Let me know if
any
of this advice works or not, I do have a couple of more suggestions from
those forums.

--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer
On Wednesday 16 July 2003 01:09 pm, Deek wrote:
> Gah, sorry you guys, I've been busy soo I haven't been able to reply. When
> you said to change the glx, I did, and no improvements: It still gives me
> the black screen of death.Let me just reply to all of the messages in this
> one post.

On the Nvidia forums, there are long-running threads related to several issues
involving newer Nvida graphics cards.

Just to list some suggestions:

1.  If you are getting to the AGP section in your Xfree86.log file before you
get locked up, in other words, the last line is "Setting mode...." then you
may have issues with AGP BIOS on your motherboard and Nvidia's card.  The
solution is to add this line to your XF86Config-4 file
Under Section Device
Option  "NvAGP"         "1"
This tells Nvidia card to use internal AGP rather than kernel agpgart and
sometimes fixes issues.

If your XFree log does not show it locking up but you just go into powersave
mode and stay there, add this line, also under Device

Option          "ConnectedMonitor"      "CRT" - or DFP or TV depending on where you
are
connected.

Also,
Option  "IgnoreDisplayDevices"  "DFP, TV" - if you are using the CRT connection.
This option is to avoid issues with the card taking an inordinately long time
to detect the active display.

Finally, I had major issues until I followed stated advice and hooked the DFP
adapter to my analog connector and plugged the monitor into the DVI slot on
the card. (I have a GeForce 4 ti 4600).  My monitor was going into powersave
mode and not coming out until I changed that connector.  Let me know if any
of this advice works or not, I do have a couple of more suggestions from
those forums.

--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer