James Henry Maiewski wrote:

On Saturday 19 July 2003 05:31 am, Anne Wilson wrote:

On Saturday 19 Jul 2003 12:14 am, manolis wrote:

Anyway...
Although I didn't figured out what is going on I also want to ask
related to the this problem:
Any time that I plug in my USB reader it gets another name in the
/dev tree for example the first time I pluged it in I get: /dev/sda
when I unplugged it and replug it again I get : /dev/sdb  etc...
etc...
I think this is related to my problem...
How can I remove the faulty /dev/..   links?
This doesn't happen with my USB flash thumb drive that automounts
fine , and every time I plug it in I get: /dev/sdb1

Please Help..!!

Hi, Manolis.  I think that when you use more than one removable device
the system sometimes gets confused.  I have a similar problem.  When
it happens to me I just open up the MCC, Hardware List.  It should
re-detect the device and mount it correctly.

Anne

Hello,

If this doesn't seem obviouslywrong, I wnder if you are umounting the /dev/sda1 before unplugging it?

There was another USB/Flash question regarding supermount. I just have a simple '/dev/sda1 /mnt/fubar auto auto,user,noauto,ro 0 0' line in fstab and I get a nifty icon (in 9.1) on the desktop after boot (even when there is no disk in the reader. All I have to do is put a disk in and click the icon... voila! I think its great, and I don't have to deal with any super-dooper anything.

For what my opinion is worth,
-Jim

My multi port card reader is setup like this in fstab,
/dev/sdb1 /mnt/hd auto user,iocharset=iso8859-15,kudzu,codepage=850,noauto,umask=0,exec 0 0

I have an Icon on desktop which gives me instant access  to media.
I can also use command line.

One proviso though, as I learnt the hard way. If you don't have a media card in the device during the installation phase of Mandrake it will not create a working node device in /dev directory, and although I found out how to remove and recreate the device it did not last more than that single session, which made it a pain.
So, if you can spare the time and know how, recompile the kernel with a card inserted, otherwise wait until your next mandrake install and remember to insert the media into the reader before you begin the device detection fase of the install.

I guess the mandrake team need to address this issue of device detection without a media card inserted.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]