From: Steve Philp [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, October 07, 1999 3:48 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Restricting user access by IP

"Lambert, Stephen : CO IR" wrote:

> Is it possible to configure a linux server to only allow 10 users access
> server web pages and telnet(on a intranet web server).
> Is there an easy way to do this?  Or must I learn how to set up a VPN?
>
> My assumption is that host.allow only restricts access to telnet not
httpd?
> Is this right?
> Also, what is involved in verifing a DNS configuration. The status now is
> that anybody on our network can access this server without any problems. I
> would like to restrict this to only 10 users!

You'll actually want to investigate the configuration files in
/etc/httpd/conf.  Apache isn't run through inetd and isn't controlled by
TCP Wrappers.
http://www.apache.org should have definitive information on how to
configure those files to limit server access to the 10 users.

--
Steve Philp
Network Administrator