On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 19:17:58 -0500
Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:

> On another list I belong to a question was asked of me whether
> spyware/adware can be placed on a Linux system.  I doubt it can be,
> but I told the list I would find out.  So, can it?

Strictly speaking, no. But it is *theoretically* possible.

1. Use of non-opensource software, not open to scrutiny and therefore
could contain malware.

2. Trojans, you download a file thinking it's "whatever", you execute
it, it loads a trojan on your system called a rootkit. Always a good
idea to scan for these with chkrootkit, if I remember the name
correctly.

The more important question is, and I believe there was a thread on this
previously, can you *scan* for spyware/adware, and I believe there is
software available, do not know a name offhand.

--
Joehill
Registered Linux user #282046