> > Hmmmmm...i can say i want to start into electronics/robotics. My
> > techie friend said that i should buy an 8 bit "controller" that i
> > can download a program to. Would anyone know of such of a
> > "processor"? How about any mailing lists? Sites? Anything? You can
> > mail me directly if you wish

You could look at Microchip.  The PICs are just the processor itself, so
you'll have to wrap the circuit around it, or get one of the
"breadboard" kits, but those will be "clunkier" then making the circuit
itself.

Go to www.microchip.com , and maybe
http://www.microchip.com/1010/pline/tools/tparty/index.htm
for third party stuff.
The cheapest route (other than programming inassembly) is PicBasic, but
there are C compilers. anyway
If it peaks your interest, i can give you a list of my favorite starting
pieces.
But i usu do it for work, so i have the luxury of designing a PCBA to
plop it in.

eric