You have two options:
1> In KPPP set the modem to a different device according to the following
(this is the easiest thing to do if you will only use the modem to connect
to your ISP and you will always use KPPP):
COM1 = dev/ttyS0
COM2 = dev/ttyS1
COM3 = dev/ttyS2
COM4 = dev/ttyS3

2> Create a symbolic lynk that links dev/modem to the actual modem device.
(Example: #ln -s /dev/modem /dev/ttyS0           -I can't remember the order
of the devices though).  Type "ln --help" for additional help on creating a
symbolic link.

HTH,
Matt