On Fri, 08 Oct 1999, you wrote:
> I installed Mandrake 6.0 last night (Custom) - no problems with the
> installation. When I tried to dial in to my ISP, however, (Kppp), I
> got a message that a file was missing from my /dev/modem directory. I
> had Kppp query my modem and it told me that it could not open the
> modem. I tried to check the file, and I don't appear to have a
> /dev/modem directory at all.
>
> What do I need to do to get my modem recognized?

which comm port is it on?? What you'll need to do is get to
a console prompt (in a console/Konsole window will work
fine) and then type ln -s /dev/ttySx /dev/modem. Replace
"x" with the number of the comm port (i.e. Com1 is ttyS0,
com2 is ttyS1, etc.) and it should work. Also, make sure
you don't have a WinModem or HSP modem.
        John