Steve Philp wrote:

> Axalon Bloodstone wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, Mulvaney, Jerry wrote:
> >
> > > Everything works great under Mandrake 6.0, but I can't find out how to start
> > > a dial up connection without starting X and running netcfg. Can I do this
> > > from the command line?
> > >
> > >     Thanks!
> > >
> > >  ***There's a fine line between an attitude problem and thinking clearly***
> > >

> > ifup ppp0
>
> And since /sbin isn't in a normal user's path, it's:
>
>         /sbin/ifup ppp0
>
> for a normal user.
>
> --
> Steve Philp
> Network Administrator
> Advance Packaging Corporation
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

OK, stupid question time (forgive me I'm not anywhere my linux box and been having a
brain fart all day).  Isn't the /sbin directory where all "system binary's" go to
live their happy little lives, if so wouldn't these be protected and why would an
ordinary user have access to them, or does each user have an /sbin directory with
copies (or links) back to the files in an administrator/system directory?  (see why
I was looking for a hierarchy of the file system earlier 8-)).

Dazed and Confused

Joseph S. Gardner
Senior Designer / Technical Support
Kirby Co.,  Cleveland, OH