Steve Philp wrote:

> "Joseph S. Gardner" wrote:
> >
> > Steve Philp wrote:

> > > And since /sbin isn't in a normal user's path, it's:
> > >
> > >         /sbin/ifup ppp0
> > >
> > > for a normal user.
> >
> > OK, stupid question time (forgive me I'm not anywhere my linux box and been having
> > brain fart all day).  Isn't the /sbin directory where all "system binary's" go to
> > live their happy little lives, if so wouldn't these be protected and why would an
> > ordinary user have access to them, or does each user have an /sbin directory with
> > copies (or links) back to the files in an administrator/system directory?  (see why
> > I was looking for a hierarchy of the file system earlier 8-)).
>
> You're correct, /sbin is where system binaries go (actually, I think the
> historic purpose of the directory was for statically linked binaries --
> you could use them to recover the system incase of shared library
> failures).
>
> For a "normal" Unix system, you really wouldn't want normal users having
> access to bringing interfaces up and down.  I certainly wouldn't want
> it.
>
> But, we're not really dealing with "normal Unix systems" when you're
> talking about home systems.  PPP interfaces are brought up and down at
> will and normal users need to be able to control them.
>
> As for the later part, there is only one /sbin, not a directory per
> user.
>
> --
> Steve Philp
> Network Administrator
> Advance Packaging Corporation
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

OTAY,

I tend to treat my home systems as a real life work system, between the wife & I we
have 5
kids and I figured it best to get them used to the real world but still be able to
teach
them "system" goodies should any of them show any interest.

Thanks

--
Joseph S. Gardner
Senior Designer / Technical Support