On July 26, 2003 11:45 am, Bill Winegarden wrote:
> Hi All,
>       I saved my entire /home directory to my /mnt/windows directory before I
> installed 9.1. I would like to copy over all the kmail information,
> messages and directories from /mnt/windows to the new 9.1 insallation.
> However, when I copy the Mail directory it seems that there are many
> messages missing. For example Inbox has no messages when transfered over
> yet I know there were some when I copied the directory to windows. Am I
> missing other mail related files/folders that augment the main 'Mail'
> directory?
>
> tia,
> Bill W.

Hi Bill

I had this problem going from 8.2 to 9.0 and, through ignorance more than
anything else, lost everything.  Everything is exactly how you described it.

The problem is that if you just copy everything back you'll find it's all out
of synch.  Not even the address book will work correctly.

The fix for KMail, assuming that's what you're using, initally sounds pretty
drastic.  Install KMail.  Do NOT run it.  Copy your mail directory back to
your home directory.  Now run KMail for the first time.  You'll find your
mail is there where it should be.    Finish configuring it.

Opening KMail causes it to write its own Mail directory and fill it with
intial files.  This appears to confuse the heck out of it when you reopen
KMail.  You'll see everything but none of it will work.  I couldn't find a
way to fix that without uninstalling KMail.  I was forced to do this then it
all worked.  It appears to treat the existing Mail directory as an upgrade
and reads all the information correctly.

I hope this helps.

ttfn

John

KAB is much easier.  Just copy it back to the appropriate directory and,
voila, you're done.