alsamixergui might save you. If not, i'm not sure what to do about aumix
not running.

Maybe delete ~/.aumixrc ?

Anyway, once you get that sorted out, here is what i did to make my
sound work for my first install (the second time i installed it worked
from the start...):

0. Run and save kmix

1. Run the aumix gui (i just type aumix at the cl)
2. Under Mute, "Mute All" is checked (despite the sliders being
non-zero).
    Click "Mute All" to uncheck it   (this will actually mute all:
             the sliders all go to zero)
3. Now go back and reselect mute all  (the sliders then all go back to
             non-zero values)
4. Save settings

5. Sound should now work, try  alsamixergui if not

IF you're running ALSA drivers:

after installing the alsa-utils, i ran alsactl store (as root)
and rebooted.  Sound worked on bootup w/o fiddling...