On Tuesday 29 Jul 2003 1:51 pm, David Middlebrook wrote:
> Derek Jennings wrote:
> >On Monday 28 Jul 2003 12:50 pm, David Middlebrook wrote:
> >>I have a small home LAN running through a Netgear RP114 DSL/Cable
> >>Router, my PC is running Mandrake 9.1 and the other computers are a Mac
> >>OS/X, Win/XP and Win 98. The router is providing DHCP and the printer is
> >>connected to the Linux computer. All I want to provide is access for
> >>these non-Linux computers to the printer. The other computers are not
> >>set up with userids and passwords as they are single user machines. When
> >>I go to DrakXServices it is starting smb on boot so the smbd and nmbd
> >>daemons are installed.
> >>
> >>Can anyone advise what to do next or point me to some documentation that
> >>will help me get this working?
> >>
> >>TIA
> >>Dave
> >
> >The default samba configuration will do as you want 'out of the box'. All
> > you need change is the workgroup name in  your /etc/samba.smb.conf file.
> >
> >If you prefer using a GUI install the drakwizard RPM and then your
> > Mandrake Control Centre will have a new entry for a Samba server wizard
> > which will make the edit for you.
> >
> >HTH
> >
> >derek

> >Want to buy your Pack or Services from MandrakeSoft?
> >Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com
>
> I have done the configuration as suggested and provided the workgroup
> name and the wizard indicated that everything is properly configured.
> What do I need to do on the Windows machines to point them to the Linux
> computer for their printing?
>
> Dave

At this pount you should be able to see your Linux computer in the Windows
'Network Neighboourhood' together with its printer. Then it is just a matter
of selecting that to be the default printer for Windows. Its a long time
since I used Windows, but don't you have to right click on the printer and
select 'Bind to port' or something like that?

If you cannot see your Linux machine in Network Neighbourhood then the
favourite reason is a Firewall active blocking Samba traffic.  Make sure your
firewall is disabled.  (You can always enable it again later once Samba is
working)

If you install the 'LinNeighborhood' and 'samba-client' RPMs then you can run
LinNeighborhood which works like Network Neighbourhood. You will see all the
Windows computers and the Linux computer/printer.

HTH

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net