Frankie; IIRC, NT would have generated SID's (Secure ID's) for each user or PC the
first time each one logged onto the server. The SID contains info about the version of
Windows that the PC had before you upgraded. Now that you've upgraded to XP, that SID
conflicts with WinXP. You may have to delete the usernames of those that connect to
the NT server with that PC, and re-enter them again. The NT server will scrap the
SID'sit had for that user(s), and generate new ones for the WinXP PC as each user logs
onto the domain with it.

You didn't clearly state whether or the NT server is set up as a PDC or not. If so,
the domain name should be an FQDN ( Fully Qualified Domain Name like hammon.com), and
not just a name (Hammon). That could also be causing you a problem with log-ons. Check
out those things and get back to me. A lot of this depends on how the systems logon to
the server as well. If the NT server is a PDC ( Primary Domain Controller ), it
actually should have an FQDN like OLDKEN.HAMMON.COM, and not just OLDKEN.HAMMON. That
little difference could also be a part of the problem.

You're also correct about looking into encryption. That could easily be the problem.
Try creating a new username and password on the NT server, then add that user,
password, and workgroup to the WinXP box, and try logging into the server with the new
username. If the encrypted password is the problem, NT should give the new user a
fresh SID and allow it to connect, as if the new user was using an NT workstation, and
it will conclude that this PC has encryption for that user only. Try removing the XP's
computer name from the Server Manager as well, and give the XP box a new name, but
make the same name change on the XP box first, then reboot it, and hold it at the
logon screen. Then make the changes to the server that I've suggested and proceed with
your logon.

While you're at it, have a look at Microsoft's web-site, and see if they have info
regarding XP logons to an NT server. You should be able to narrow it down from there.
The download site for NT is here;

http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/downloads/

Get back to me.

Lanman