On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 03:41, Anne Wilson wrote:
<snipper>
> Certainly, with the majority of my cds the sound does just seem to be
> distributed, but as I said, there are a couple where there is a
> distinct centre channel.  In one case it's a male voice, and in
> another a female one, so it's not just frequency.  I don't know if
> there's really something different in the way those two are encoded,
> all I know is the effect is startlingly different from the rest.
>
> Anne

Its called "centre channel encoding" and is done at the studio for just such an effect
for ppl with 4.1 & up systems.
*off topic..is this wrapping correctly i wonder?*...hm.. n/m

SOrry ADD kicked in.. lol

anyway you can force that with certain plugins for some software music players ...
don't know if XMMS has that ability but I believe it does.
Its basically a way to separate certain sounds for hte human ear thus creating (for a
human) pleasant ambience & subtle audio cues.  Kinda like multi-layered
classical music with strings in one area & subtle fluting going on elsewhere that if
you listen closely you can hear perfectly ...
HTH