On Sunday 03 Aug 2003 1:04 am, Dennis Myers wrote:
> On Saturday 02 August 2003 05:57 pm, Sharrea wrote:
> > On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 13:38, Dennis Myers wrote:
> > Perhaps your ISP requires authentication. If this is the case, do
> > you have your login and password set in the smtp server settings
> > in kmail?  Or maybe I've missed the point.  The latter is highly
> > likely...  ;)
> >
> > Sharrea
>
> Well, what is happening is, when I login to Kmail normally and
> download my mail from the ISP server  I can read and write mail
> with no problem. However, if I open kmail and do not login to the
> mail server to get mail, and then compose a mail and try to send
> it, no, send fails, you must first log on to the mail server. Ok,
> so then I log on and go to send queued mail and it never gets it
> sent, message is for a very long time "send mail in progress". So I
> have to log out of KDE and log back in again, open kmail, get
> messages from the server and then send queued messages.  It isn't
> often I forget to log on but once in a while I forget and then the
> problem pops up. I just put up with it but thought someone may know
> of a way to have kmail do a autologon and d/l the mail.
> Someheimers moments are a bear.

Dennis, do you have your mail account(s) set to autocheck mail?  Mine,
for instance, checks every three minutes.  Of course you have to let
it save the password, so it's up to you whether you consider it
secure enough in your case.  If you do this, though, by the time you
have composed your mail it is very likely that it has already checked
for you.

I agree with Sharea, though, that you should check what you have set
for sending mail - whether you have set to send authentication
details, and whether your isp does require it, though I would have
thought that if you got that wrong it would affect every attempt to
send, not just in some circumstances.

HTH

Anne