isn't there somewhere that linux keeps a lot of what the system does?  i'm
sitting here this morning, got gaim, kmail, mozilla, and KsCD running, all of
the sudden the mozilla window closes.  figured that was pretty odd.  i go to
the kmail window, click on it, it closes.  i turned off Gaim myself, but then
the menu bar at the bottom of the screen wouldn't come up at all when i moved
the mouse over it, so i switch to the desktop KsCD is on, try to turn that
off, it disappears.  so now i'm thinking the you konw what has hit the fan.
before i can try an alt ctrl backspace to get out of linux and to the
"saftey" of a reboot before i get a complete system crash, the system
crashed.  so now i'm forced to hit the restart button on the box.  after a
few failed attempts to get into linux, i throw the boot disc in the drive
(cause off the CD alone it wouldn't go).  i tell it to do an install and
figure i'll just wait til prompted and rescue the installation.  didn't give
me that choice, guess it did it on it's own.  couple of things came up about
it sent kill signals and what not and said it was save to reboot my computer.
i reboot and everything "seems" fine.  but.....

does the system keep track of stuff like this so i can go in and check WHY it
crashed?  and if it does, where is there a definition of what that stuff
means, because i prolly won't understand it on my own.  besides my numerous
CD drive failures, this is the only time i remember that the system has
crashed.  help appreciated, or a point or kick in teh right direction.  :)

Mike