On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 07:27:24PM -0400, Joe Hill wrote:

> Hey y'all!
>
> I was hit by the big blackout like so many of you I am sure, in the
> middle of composing a mail message.
>
> The power just came back on and when I booted up and logged in, gkrellm
> shows I have 300 messages in my spool, but when I hit "get all",
> nothing happens. I have shut down fetchmail for now and am popping my
> ISP directly, but I wonder how I can get Sylpheed to retrieve those
> accumulated mails from my spool? Is there some way I can import them
> manually into my Sylpheed folder?
>
> Any help *very* greatly appreciated!

Welcome back, Joe! I had something similar happen to me once where
gkrellm told me I had a million mails, but when I opened sylpheed I
didn't have any. It turned out to be some mess-up in
/var/spool/mail/me--I opened the file and saw that the first line was
blank. I deleted the blank line, saved it, and then everything was OK.

You'll notice that the spool is just the messages with a blank line
separating each one. If it ain't the first line, maybe you can just grep
for "From " (include the space because that would be different than
"From:" of course) and make sure there's a blank line in front of it
(except the very first message).

HTH,
Todd

--
Name that tune #17: So you say there's a race of men in the trees; you're
for tough legistlation.