> hard/impossible for Mandrake ... where could I find a walkthrough on
> this? ... oh, and in case soemthing goes bad ... is there a way to
> recover from such a low level deed?

A good place to look at this is the Gentoo site. I built a Gentoo box from
scratch and I don't consider myself to be a Linux guru. They have an
installation guide that talks you through the whole process (and the other
processes as well!) Its really not all that hard and any issues you have
there is a good forum to help.

I have to say (not wanting to tread on any toes) but my PII 233 runs a lot
quicker with Gentoo than it ever did with Mandrake.

However the one small caveat I have found is that it takes a long time. So
if you have a computer that you need to use (i.e not leave chuntering away
in a corner for a couple of weeks) then installing Gentoo is not a good
idea. It took about 24 hours to compile and get up and running the kernel.
It took around 60 hours to compile KDE and a further 80-120hours to compile
and install everything else because I only have 98MB of ram. Compiling is
slow and resource consuming.

However on a decent spec machine I bet it would take a lot less time. I am
planning to install it on my main machine but in order to make the process
less painful I bought the CD with loads of stuff already compiled and ready
for use with my system.

--
John Willby
Registered Linux user number 321644