On 11 Oct, Dan Brown wrote:
> From: Richard Salts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>> Another question:  How does one unpack and install an *rpm program?
>
> # man rpm

Good Lord, that's a lot of information!  Man pages say way too much for
most normal purposes, _especially_ the one for `rpm`.  Hell, even
`rpm --help` outputs several screens of info.  I'd just recap the
basics:

rpm -ivh filename.rpm  # Installs a package
rpm -q package-name    # Do I have package-name installed?
rpm -qa                # What packages do I have installed?
rpm -Uvh filename.rpm  # Upgrade to new version of package
rpm -e package-name    # Un-installs package-name

Take note of how "package-name" used in the query modes and uninstall
mode does NOT end in ".rpm".  If you don't know the name of a package,
try

rpm -qa | grep word

Where "word" is something that should be in the package.  For instance,
say you're wondering what GNOME packages are installed.  You run

[user@localhost user]$ rpm -qa | grep gnome
gnome-audio-1.0.0-7mdk
gnome-audio-extra-1.0.0-7mdk
gnome-core-1.0.9-9mdk
gnome-core-devel-1.0.9-9mdk
gnome-games-1.0.2-13mdk
gnome-games-devel-1.0.2-13mdk
gnome-libs-1.0.40-1mdk
gnome-libs-devel-1.0.40-1mdk
gnome-media-1.0.40-1mdk
gnome-objc-1.0.2-5mdk
gnome-objc-devel-1.0.2-5mdk
gnome-pim-1.0.9-1mdk
gnome-pim-devel-1.0.9-1mdk
gnome-print-0.8-1mdk
gnome-users-guide-1.0.5-7mdk
gnome-utils-1.0.13-1mdk
switchdesk-gnome-1.7.0-3mdk

There you go!  Let's now say you want to get rid of the GNOME utilities
(the second-to-last package on the list).  You'd run

rpm -e gnome-utils

No version numbers or file extension.  Does this make sense?  Hopefully,
it's more readable than a man page.
--
     -Matt Stegman
     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>