On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 13:21:04 -0400
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
> What is init 3? How do I drop to it? How do I switch back to init5?

Just for this post to you I have turned-off PGP so this should appear in
OE as a simple text message, I would refer to keep it on at all times
because of security and privacy concerns.
For any future postings you may need to use another client or save to
disk from OE and read it in notepad or other program.

Runlevels are a state, or mode, defined by the services listed in the
SysV /etc/rc.d/rc<x>.d/ directory, where <x> is the number of the
runlevel.

The idea behind SysV init runlevels revolves around the fact that
different systems can be used in a different ways. For example, a server
runs more efficiently without the drag on system resources created by
the X Window System. Other times, a system administrator may need to
operate the system at a lower runlevel to perform diagnostic tasks, like
fixing disk corruption in runlevel 1, when no other users can possibly
be on the system.

The characteristics of a given runlevel determines which services are
halted and started by init. For instance, runlevel 1 (single user mode)
halts any network services, while runlevel 3 starts these services. By
assigning specific services to be halted or started on a given runlevel,
init can quickly change the mode of the machine without the user
manually stopping and starting services.

The following runlevels(init) are used
0  Halt

1  Single-user text mode

2  Not used (user-definable)

3  Full multi-user text mode

4  Not used (user-definable)

5  Full multi-user graphical mode (with an X-based login screen)

6  Reboot

The default runlevels normally used are 1 and 5

On my systems I boot to runlevel(init) 3 then manually launch the
X-server, if/when you boot to the graphical log-in you are booting to
runlevel(init) 5

To get to init 3 from init 5 log-out of your WM so that you are at the
login screen.
Press the key combination Ctrl-Alt-F2
This will take you to a text login prompt.
Login with your username and password and then su to root.
At the prompt enter:
init 3
<example> [EMAIL PROTECTED] charles]# init 3
This will shut down the X-server and drop you to runlevel 3.
>From this level it is safe to install the fglrx driver and to run
fglrxconfig.
If you have problems with fglrxconfig I can walk you through each
setting being either as cryptic or verbose as you wish.

Once the above is accomplished to return to runlevel 5 at the prompt
enter:
init 5
<example> [EMAIL PROTECTED] charles]# init 5
This will take you to the graphical login screen.

    Charles

--
Many a writer seems to think he is never profound except when he can't
understand his own meaning.