On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 05:18:33 -0400
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I need help installing a video card driver for a radeon 9800 in
> mandrake. What the problem is is after I install it ask me to generate
> a customized kernel module

What version of Mandrake are you running and which of the ATI drivers
are you using?

I am running cooker (9.2) and using fglrx-glc22-4.3.0-3.2.0.i586.rpm
with a Radeon9600 Pro.

You will need to install the kernel-source rpm.
You can do this by
# urpmi kernel-source
or use rpmdrake and look in the 'addable' section and select the
kernel-source rpm.
For my kernel it is kernel-source-2.4.22-1mdk

Once you have installed the kernel-source drop to init3.
Forget the direction they give for manually building the kernel module,
thats to much like 'work'.
It is much simpler to re-install the driver
rpm -ivh --force fglrx-xxxxx.rpm
It will now be able to find a kernel build environment and will build
the kernel module for you.
Once the module has been built and loaded run fglrxconfig to create the
proper entries in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Switch back to init5 and you should be set to go.

    Charles

--
Living your life is a task so difficult, it has never been attempted
before.