Title: RE: [newbie] Converting sound files? (recording from cassette, pt2)

snip
> <sigh> I guess I'm just gonna have to break down and buy a
> boom-box that has
> "true" line out.
>
> Thanks to Richard, Brant, The Other, and David for the
> replies. (and anyone
> else I missed!) :-)

When I decided it was time to start ripping my tape and (gasp) vinyl collections, I went to an audio equipment repair shop, and bought a used, repaired and abandoned TEAC deck for $50USD -- much better sound quality than I expect from a "boombox" and pretty cheap.

I'll go back for a turntable when we get through another 200 tapes or so.

--Matthew