On Tuesday 02 Sep 2003 11:32 am, Paul Kaplan wrote:
> When I activated the firewall in LM9.1 I blocked the ability of my two w2k
> LAN clients to see my samba server.  No surprise.  How can I allow the
> clients (and hopefully only those clients) through the firewall?
> TIA
> Paul

Shorewall (as defined in the Mandrake Config) has three zones
net - Internet connectio
masq - A Masqueraded local network
fw - The Mandrake box itself

When the firewall is activated all traffic is blocked from net to fw , from
net to masq, and from masq to fw.

If you want to allow access from your local network to services running on the
firewall (such as Samba), then edit the file /etc/shorewall/policy and make
it look like this :-

fw      net     ACCEPT
fw      masq    ACCEPT
masq    net     ACCEPT
net     all     DROP    info
all     all     REJECT  info

Any fine tuning you require (such as opening ports to the internet) is
performed in /etc/shorewall/rules  So if for example you wanted local users
to have access to the Samba server but not other services then instead of
editing policy you would put this in rules
ACCEPT  masq    fw      tcp     137,138,139

(Ports 137,138,139 are used by Windows networking )

When you have finished
shorewall restart

The text files are very informative, but if you really prefer using a GUI
there is one in Webmin  (install webmin RPM then https://localhost:10000 in a
browser )

HTH
derek