> what would that have to do with anything?  And how?

Well the whole point of urpmi is it works out dependencies and goes
and gets the needed rpm's and installs it all. Now if its scuttling off and
getting the wrong rpm's, which in your case it is, then something is broken
somewhere. This is just my simple logic and anyway it is a good idea to
update regularly your urpmi anyway!

I was able to urpmi kopete 7.1 (texstar version) or 6.2 last night and it
installed fine.

How:

urpmi.update -a

If that don't work mail me again (off list if you like) and I'll download
the rpm's and send them to you.

--
John Willby
Registered Linux user number 321644