Benjamin Sher wrote:

> Dear friends:
>
> I am having an urgent problem with my printer.
>
> For some reason, I can't seem to stop, that is, to dequeue the print
> job. NO mattter what I do, it won't dequeue:
>
> [root@adsl-77-232-94 sher]# lpq
> lp is ready and printing
> Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
> active sher       7    /tmp/_pp_0000000786_1                 342086
> bytes
> [root@adsl-77-232-94 sher]# lprm

Try 'lprm 7', I think you have to give lprm a job number.

> I turned off my printer (Epson Stylus Color 600). Then did a cold
> reboot, disconnected my computer from the wall, removed the cable from
> my printer, replaced the cable, rebooted and still the print job won't
> disappear from the queue. It's a 75 page print job. I have only one

Of course it won't come out of the print queue, it hasn't been printed!

> Now my problem is more urgent. The problem is not with the printer but
> with Linux. I can't remove the print job itself from the queue.

See the lprm command above.

> One odd thing: I have rebooted several times and noticed that each time
> I reboot, the printer would start printing from PAGE ONE, from the title
> page, all over again, that is, even if it has already printed several
> pages before I shut the printer down and rebooted. When I return, after
> a cold reboot (as explained above), the printer will start reprinting
> FROM THE BEGINNING OF THE MANUSCRIPT, from poge 1. Isn't that odd?

Not really.  What if there really WAS a printer problem -- a jam-up or
something... you had to kill 10 pages to get it to come out of the
printer.  You really don't want a split report.  The whole job reprints.

--
Steve Philp
Network Administrator