On Friday 05 September 2003 10:53 am, Douglas Bainbridge wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently re-installed 9.1 in order to change from ext3 to ReiserFS and
> took the opportunity to create a separate partition for /var.
> I underestimated the space needed for /var and am now getting warning
> messages on bootup about inadequate free space.
>
> What to do? Can I resize /var, taking space from /, say? Or have I got
> to re-install all over again?
>
> TIA for advice.

I think that I did something like this recently.  If you boot up in single
user mode and kill all the daemons that use any /var partition, you should be
able to back up the data, unmount it, resize the partition, format and then
remount it and restore the data.  Don't know about taking from / partition
though, that one has to stay mounted unless you use a boot cd.  Could do that
with Knoppix but you would have to remount the drives and correct the fstab
and such before rebooting from hd.

I actually left a little empty space on both my hd's just in case I needed
additional room the last time I installed.

--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer