On Saturday September 6 2003 06:32 am, HaywireMac wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 12:07:32 +0100
>
> Pete Stean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:
> >  this
> > will be my third attempt at installing the o/s - we all love to
> > hate MS but I'm beginning to see why people don't venture out
> > into the wild
> >
> > unknown of  linux....  phew!

> Well, talk to Tom Brinkman about that. Not to excuse the lag in
> hardware support in Linux, but there is a very good reason.
>
> When a hardware vendor comes out with a new product, in your case
> I believe the display is the prob, not the Nvidia, they are lined
> up at MS's door to get software support, while Linux hackers have
> to beg and plead and hack and reverse engineer support for the
> latest and greatest.
>
> My point is, considering the way Linux is deliberately and
> egregiously shut out of the hardware advancement train with
> closed-source drivers and the like, it's a miracle that Linux
> developers are able to even keep up. These people are to be
> lauded and praised for their continues efforts, in many if not
> most cases for *free*.
>
> You don't choose Linux, as I think you implied, for the whiz-bang
> multimedia support, though it is fairly good for that too, you
> choose it because it is an alternative to the insecurity,
> instability, and wickedly bloodthirsty licensing and upgrade
> paths of MS OS's.
>
> Am I getting this right Tom? Tom? Wake up Tom!

  You did fine. Tho I'd stress blaming Bill Gates and his licensing
agreements, arm twisting, and shady backroom deals, rather than the
hardware vendors. M$ develops many windoze hardware drivers for, or
in cooperation with the vendors, and forbids releasing any source
in order to protect M$ IP. Yeah right. Truth is Billy Goat doesn't
want the latest and greatest to work properly on any other OS's but
his. M$ can dictate to the hardware manufactures because Windoze is
over 90% of their market.

   The result is the same old poor cooperation with the open source
community. What's needed is an open source spy to infiltrate TSMC
(http://www.tsmc.com/english/default.htm). They make most of the
chips hardware manufacturers and vendors use. Have all the plans
and specs ;)  EG, they make all the chips for both ATI and nVidia,
most of the latest other video, sound, network chips, et al out
there. Then Linux would soon have better drivers and hardware
support than Windoze ;>  .... jus need to find someone willing to
go to prison for a long time ;(