On Sat, 2003-09-06 at 07:32, HaywireMac wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 12:07:32 +0100
> Pete Stean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:
>
> >  this
> > will be my third attempt at installing the o/s - we all love to hate
> > MS but I'm beginning to see why people don't venture out into the wild
> >
> > unknown of  linux....  phew!
>
> Well, talk to Tom Brinkman about that. Not to excuse the lag in hardware
> support in Linux, but there is a very good reason.
>
> When a hardware vendor comes out with a new product, in your case I
> believe the display is the prob, not the Nvidia, they are lined up at
> MS's door to get software support, while Linux hackers have to beg and
> plead and hack and reverse engineer support for the latest and greatest.
>
> My point is, considering the way Linux is deliberately and egregiously
> shut out of the hardware advancement train with closed-source drivers
> and the like, it's a miracle that Linux developers are able to even keep
> up. These people are to be lauded and praised for their continues
> efforts, in many if not most cases for *free*.
>
> You don't choose Linux, as I think you implied, for the whiz-bang
> multimedia support,
gee,, George Lucas, and Industrial Light and Magic choose Linux. AMD and
NVidia just for that.
the August Linux Journal has a great writeup about the Rackspace built
linux powered ILM 'deathstar' render-farm. some 1500 AMD athlon 1600, on
750 MoBos, each with 2 gigs ram.
ahhh to dream of such power... just wait a few years (like 20),, I swear
I will have that much power.