On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 23:21, Eric Huff wrote:
> > I've tried, only that I have no place to type
> > in'root'. The first dialog is for choosing the user (apparently by
> > icon clicking). There is no edit box for typing. However, I've clicked
> > the dialog and type 'root'. No effect.
>
> It is best not to log in as root in the GUI.  There's just so many more
> ways to mess things up...
>
> It's best to log into a user, then su to root.  You can still run GUI
> progs.

I wonder:
would you mind pointing me to a doc or a URL that explains the levels of
users and what they can/can't do, and how to set/adjust access etc?

For example, I've found that I can't create new directories in
Konqueror, even if I open a text window and "SU" there, it doesn't seem
to update the permissions for the Konqueror window. I could do it in the
text only window, but that involves a bunch typing to navigate up and
down through the directories to get where I already was in the other
window [if you know what I mean:)]

The other thing I was thinking of doing was setting it up so my
girlfriend can sign in with her own name and password, so she can use it
to play her karaoke and VCD movies etc, and not mess up my desktop and
stuff [I don't know why, but every time I come home there's something
different...]
Why? 'Cause I heard you could... :)

TIA

--