Hi All,

I've searched the archives for this issue without success so here are my queries. I
have an older 3 Com/US Robotics 56K ISA internal Faxmodem (model 5687-hardware
controlled) that I would like to configure for use with Mandrake 9.1. Here is what
I've attempted to date:

Mandrake Control Center's (MCC) Hardware Detection did not detect my legacy modem.
Mandrake Control Center's Network Configuration yielded a ppp0 error. MCC's Network
Config tool is a complicated way to dial-up an internet connection--is there an easier
way to dial-up the internet? Is this tool a no-go with legacy modems?

Traditionally I've used kppp without problem. kppp's modem query function will detect
my modem and set it up for use. However, I've done a file find and a MCC software
search for kppp and it does not appear to be available with Mandrake 9.1. Is kppp or
some other dialer available with this distro? Where do I find it?

If I do get a dialer working will users be able to use the dialer without having to
have root permissions? Or do I have to do the sudoers-user script thing?

Thanks in advance,

Richard

http://www.linuxmail.org/