On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 11:31, Richard Court wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've searched the archives for this issue without success so here are my queries. I
> have an older 3 Com/US Robotics 56K ISA internal Faxmodem (model 5687-hardware
> controlled) that I would like to configure for use with Mandrake 9.1. Here is what
> I've attempted to date:
>
> Mandrake Control Center's (MCC) Hardware Detection did not detect my legacy modem.
> Mandrake Control Center's Network Configuration yielded a ppp0 error. MCC's Network
> Config tool is a complicated way to dial-up an internet connection--is there an
> easier way to dial-up the internet? Is this tool a no-go with legacy modems?
>
> Traditionally I've used kppp without problem. kppp's modem query function will
> detect my modem and set it up for use. However, I've done a file find and a MCC
> software search for kppp and it does not appear to be available with Mandrake 9.1.
> Is kppp or some other dialer available with this distro? Where do I find it?
>
> If I do get a dialer working will users be able to use the dialer without having to
> have root permissions? Or do I have to do the sudoers-user script thing?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Richard

Being a legacy modem, it's going to have a "hardwired" COM port - do you
know what COM port it's on? Because you're not really going to get
anywhere using "plug'n'pray" methods...

Once you KNOW what COM port it's on, su to root and run minicom:

minicom -s

This puts you in the setup mode - now you can change the port params to
point to the proper COM port - once done, save the config and test it
you can test it by just exiting the config menu and you're in the term -
type:

AT E1
AT &V
AT I4

The "AT E1" will force and echo to the local term (so you can see what
you're doing)

AT &V will give you the current configuration of the modem, etc etc
etc...

Just in SEEING commands being reflected back to the term, you know it's
working.

So, once you know it's working, use KPPP to do your dialup...either
that, or wvdial - which is even more blind easy...

stephen kuhn - owner
==============================
illawarra computer services
a kuhn media australia company
http://kma.0catch.com
"Oh, 'Melia, my dear, this does everything crown! Who could have
supposed I should meet you in Town? And whence such fair garments such
prosperi-ty?" "Oh, didn't you know I'd been ruined?" said she. "You left
us in tatters, without shoes or socks, Tired of digging potatoes, and
spudding up docks; And now you've gay bracelets and bright feathers
three!" "Yes: That's how we dress when we're ruined," said she. "At home
in the barton you said `thee' and `thou,' And `thik oon' and `theas oon'
and `t'other;' but now Your talking quite fits 'ee for compa-ny!" "Some
polish is gained with one's ruin," said she. "Your hands were like paws
then, your face blue and bleak But now I'm bewitched by your delicate
cheek, And your little gloves fit like as on any la-dy!" "We never do
work when we're ruined," said she. "You used to call home-life a
hag-ridden dream, And you'd sigh, and you'd sock; but at present you
seem To know not of megrims or melancho-ly!" "True. One's pretty lively
when ruined," said she. "I wish I had feathers, a fine sweeping gown,
And a delicate face, and could strut about Town!" "My dear--a raw
country girl, such as you be, Cannot quite expect that. You ain't
ruined," said she. --Thomas Hardy