On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 08:01, Northwest Marmot wrote:
> OK, I'll start off with the disclaimer, I've been running Mdk 9.1 for oh,
> about (checks watch) a few hours now on a laptop from the office.  This is my
> first journey into Linux (well, aside from multiple attempts with Red Hat
> years ago, each aborted when I couldn't get an install to successfully
> complete).
>
> I'm considering putting Mdk on my home system, if I can convince the
> boss..er..wife (maybe her playing with the laptop while I undertake the
> ceaseless winders patchtes and updates this weekend).   My question is this,
> what is a good application for burning CDs?
>
> I am looking for something that supports both CD-R and CD-RW (if any programs
> still make any distinction).  Should be easy to use as well (my wife does
> most of the burning, and while she's pretty savvy, she does not want to spend
> time figuring out how to use programs, hence the requirement for easy to
> use).
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>
> The Northwest Marmot

Good on ya, Marmot...

MDK is better for "end user" usage - much moreso than RedHat...but
that's a divergent tale and I shan't bore you with my PP on it (personal
philosophy)...

Either which, BURNING SOFTWARE - ah yes - well, you have a choice - once
again, moreso than in Windows...

K3B (console: k3b) - Definitely a classy choice
Arson (console: arson) - A KDE burner, nice, but not as cool as K3B
ERoaster (console: eroaster) - Cool
Gnome-Toaster (console: gtoaster) - er, Somewhat cool
XCDroast (console: xcdroast) - er, Somewhat cool

Nautilus (if you're running Gnome as the Desktop - alright, but often
chokes)

You can also find numerous other packages at freshmeat.net or
sourceforge.net - or other MDK or GNU/linux sites - but if you want to
have something NOW that is EASY, stick with K3B - it's part of the
distribution (if it ain't installed by default, run rpmdrake and it'll
install it for you).

If you're really geeky, you can venture into the world of doing it all
from the console - great for using in automagic scripts - or for
creating ISO images...

Good luck, glad to have ya onboard, cheers, and did I say good luck?

stephen kuhn - owner
illawarra computer services
a kuhn media australia company
http://kma.0catch.com
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." -- Walt Disney