September 11, 2003 04:01 pm, Northwest Marmot wrote:
> OK, I'll start off with the disclaimer, I've been running Mdk 9.1 for
> oh, about (checks watch) a few hours now on a laptop from the office.
>  This is my first journey into Linux (well, aside from multiple
> attempts with Red Hat years ago, each aborted when I couldn't get an
> install to successfully complete).

That was then and this is now. You'll get used to it, Mandrake is, in my
opinion, the most user friendly distribution around. If you count not
having to chase drivers for hardware that means it very well could be
easier than Windows.

> I'm considering putting Mdk on my home system, if I can convince the
> boss..er..wife (maybe her playing with the laptop while I undertake
> the ceaseless winders patchtes and updates this weekend).   My
> question is this, what is a good application for burning CDs?

Depends what she'd use it for. If she uses MS Office or other
proprietary specialized app she may not easily make the adjustment to
the way things work, look, and "feel" in Mandrake Linux. That said you
could always find ways to make it look and act as much like Windows as
possible without compromising stability, flexibility, and security.
Don't forget that, for a lot of recent converts, ease of
personalization and customization are the biggest draw toward GNU/Linux
on "the home desktop."

> I am looking for something that supports both CD-R and CD-RW (if any
> programs still make any distinction).  Should be easy to use as well
> (my wife does most of the burning, and while she's pretty savvy, she
> does not want to spend time figuring out how to use programs, hence
> the requirement for easy to use).

Unlike that other operating system what you seek is built in. You don't
have to "find" anything except which GUI (the front-end) fits your
taste. Many of us prefer to record CDs from the command line in a
terminal just because we find it easier. For the "drag 'n' drop" set
people prefer different interfaces. I've always been comfortable with
k3b simply 'cause it's moderately simpler in function and control
placement. That's for the (seldom) times I don't run cdrecord from a
terminal.

> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>
> The Northwest Marmot

Maybe the first place (other than here of course ;->) to look for
tutorials is the community "TWiki." Link below.

http://mandrake.vmlinuz.ca/bin/view/Main/WebHome

Final words for now, please lose the "Reply To:" from your mail client.

Regards;
Charlie
- --
Edmonton,AB,Canada User 244963 at http://counter.li.org
Cooker on kernel 2.4.22-7mdk
I distrust a man who says when.  If he's got to be careful not to drink
too much, it's because he's not to be trusted when he does.
                -- Sidney Greenstreet, "The Maltese Falcon"