On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 23:44, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 22:49, ed tharp wrote:
> > On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 18:00, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> > > I had Apache2 working on my 9.1 box, but just had to go and upgrade it
> > > from Cooker.  Now it will not start.  I should say that MCC says it's
> > > running (set to start at boot), but pointing to http://localhost takes
> > > my to the clever Australian hosting company.  When I stop and restart
> > > via MCC, a message is displayed that a verifiable hostname could not be
> > > found.  I have looked at the http.conf file and it has localhost set as
> > > the server name.  Where else should I be looking to ensure that
> > > everything is set correctly.  An explicit Apache2/PHP4/MySQL tutorial
> > > would be good (emphasis on Apache2 as it's changed quite a bit since
> > > 1.3.x).
> > what does your /etc/hosts file say for localhost?????
>
> 127.0.0.1             localhost
is this the only NIC in the box?
have you tried any other browsers to see if it is the browser adding the
extension?

hmmmm, have you tried to restart httpd from a console to see if you get
any errors? (as root "service httpd restart")
in MCC did you put the folder for the document root? (should be
/var/www/html) and does that document root have an index file? (as
default the Apache that ships with MDK has automagic indexes turned off)
and do you have in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd2.conf a line at the top
defining the server name as anything but localhost?
mine looks like this in the first lines

ServerRoot /etc/httpd/2.0
ServerName ed-tharp.is-a-geek.org

HTH